About Chesapeake Science Point (CSP)
5 Star rating two years by Maryland State Department of Education
Are you or a family member considering attending Chesapeake Science Point? If so, welcome!
Perhaps you are a philanthropist that wants to ensure your donations are well received? Thank you, your donations are all 100% Tax Deductible!
Maybe you are a fellow community member curious about your neighborhood’s educational institutions? Hello there, neighbor, we hope the following information helps answer any questions!
Chesapeake Science Point, located in Hanover, Maryland, one of the fastest growing areas of Anne Arundel County, is not only one of the most successful public schools in the county but also one of the most accomplished charter schools in Maryland. In 2007, CSP was named one of the best 30 middle schools in the Northern Virginia, D.C., and Maryland areas by Jay Matthews of The Washington Post.
Chesapeake Science Point Tigers are fiercely academic, boldly competitive, and socially stand tall as the leaders of tomorrow. Like stripes on a big cat, it’s as easy to lose count of our successes. CSP earned a 5 STAR rating from the Maryland State Department of Education (2017-2019) and we boast a Robotics Team now on a seventeen-in-a-row win streak, offer our high school pupils an early college program, and have been consistently and considerably higher than our county and Maryland State averages on the MSA & HSA test scores. http://clfmd.org/test-scores/
At Chesapeake Science Point Charter School, we are more than your typical public school experience. Each one of our bright and brilliant students shoulder high expectations while being lifted by CSP instructional and support staff along with the children’s families to reach and exceed their personal academic, social, and career goals. Our expectation is that every student succeeds tremendously in their learning process. At CSP, our responsibility is providing a safe, positive and effective learning environment with high academic standards. We know education is most successful when there is a partnership between the school, students, parents/guardians, and community. We are proud to be in Anne Arundel County and serving its community.
As one of only two charter schools in Anne Arundel County, the fundamental driving force behind CSP’s success is the belief that each child has an inherent curiosity and love of learning which we foster through academics, character development, tutoring, Saturday school, leadership programs, competitive academic and sports teams and an array of special interest clubs. CSP’s staff works collaboratively along with our families, and community partners to motivate each of our students through one of these avenues to identify and develop his/her talents to his/her fullest potential.
100% of the students graduated from CSP’s first two graduating classes with 100% of students going on to attend a 2 or 4 year college. Our curriculum, taught by highly qualified teachers, is rigorous and technology-integrated with an emphasis on mathematics, science and information technologies. Through the advanced curriculum, College Board Advanced Placement courses, and dual credit opportunities with Anne Arundel Community College, CSP prepares each of our students to follow a college or career path following graduation.
Each year our students are challenged to excel, not only in academics, but also in many other areas such as athletics and robotics. Behind these successes, our school clubs play a crucial role by extending the students engagement with academic, social and athletic activities. Research states that “after school activities have been found to boost academic achievement, build leadership, and strengthen ties to the community” (Afterschool Alliance). CSP will continue offering several clubs and extracurricular activities to meet the diverse needs and interests of our students.
Program Model: Chesapeake Science Point (CSP) Public Charter School offers a college preparatory program focused on mathematics, science, and technology. CSP has evolved from a choice school to a strong partnership program with its parent and nonparent community members. The main philosophy of instruction is challenging all students to their maximum academic and social capacity by involving the parents in the learning and teaching process. One of the significant features of the CSP community is the level of dedication from the staff and the parents. This provides very strong motivation for students to go above and beyond because of direct access to role models.
CSP’s Keys to High Student Performance:
- Provides intense individualized instruction in science, math, and technology
- Engages students through one-on-one tutoring and peer study groups
- Prepares all students for college admittance
- Provides after school program and extracurricular activities
- Provides opportunities for internships, projects, science fairs, and participation in competitions
- Maintains high expectations for students, parents, teachers, and the community
Recognitions and Awards:
- US News High School Ranking 2019 placed CLF Schools at the Top of MD STATE Public Charters!
(& ranked in the top 10 compared to both charters and magnet schools in the State).
- 2 CSP Students earn STEM Student of Excellence Award (2019)
- CSP Underwater Robotics Team qualifies for International SeaPerch Competition (2019)
- CSP MS/HS wins 22.5% of the awards at County Science Fair (2019)
- CSP HS qualifies for National AASHTO TRAC Bridge
Building Competition (2019)
- 2 CSP Students earn Capital Gazette Outstanding Student Achiever Award (2019)
- HS Math Team GOLD for the AACC season! CSP’s 11th year in a row at the TOP! (2008-2019)
- MS MathCounts 10 years in a row at GOLD (2008-2018)
- CSP Student ACT Score in TOP 2% for Hispanic Students
- CSP competes in the Blacks in Government Oratorical and STEM Competition, students win GOLD & 2 BRONZE (2018)
- CSP HS Seaperch Robotics Team: Only school in MD with two teams in the top 8! Both qualified for international competition at Dartmouth College (2018)
- CSP HS SeaPerch Team wins SILVER at Delaware
Robotics competition (2018)
- CSP MS Robotics wins SILVER at Monkton Competition (2018)
- 2 CSP Students earn STEM Student of Excellence Award(2018)
- 3 CSP Students earn Capital Gazette Outstanding Student Achiever Award (2018)
- CSP Student wins BRONZE at County Science Fair, competes in INTEL ISEF & earns $3500 grant from Maryland Armed Forces Communications & Electronics (2018)
- CSP Student earns FBI Blacks in Government STEM Award (2017)
- CSP earns “GOLD” ranking nationally by US News & Reports
- CSP wins 4TH PLACE at State MDC3 Cyber Conference
- CSP Student wins Grand Award at Regional Science Fair
- CSP earns BRONZE at Regional SeaPERCH Underwater Competition
- CSP Student wins GOLD (I-SWEEEP Outstanding Sustainability Project Award) and represents CSP at I-SWEEP Convention in Texas
- CSP Student wins SILVER at 9th Annual International Sustainable World Energy, Engineering & Environment Project Olympiad (I-SWEEEP)
- CSP Robotics Team wins GOLD & SILVER at Johns Hopkins Robotics Competition (2016)
- CSP MS Underwater Robotics STATE CHAMPS (2016)
- CSP Science Olympiad team wins BRONZE at 2016
Science Olympiad State Finals
- CSP HS VEX Robotics wins GOLD at National Vex Robotics Competition
- CSP ranks 4th for regional PARCC assessment
- CSP Student receives SILVER at Regional Science & Engineering Fair
- Maryland Charter School of the Year in 2010
- The middle school math team participated in the Maryland statewide math competition, Mathalon. CSP received the highest number of awards among 41 participating middle schools across the State in the individual rounds and was the highest scoring middle school in all rounds among the schools from Anne Arundel County.